martes, 10 de octubre de 2017

Gerald Melzer: “The goal is to get the title”

PH: El Síndrome de la Hoja en Blanco

The Challenger Copa San Cristóbal Seguros presented by Fila started with an excellent day and the Austrian Gerald Melzer (156°) impressed with his triumphal debut when he beat the Brazilian Joa Pedro Sorgi (270°) 7-5 and 6-4.

The European talked exclusively with El Síndrome de la Hoja en Blanco about the competition, his match, the performance of Austria at Davis Cup and the changes for 2018 and his relationship with his older brother and tennis player, Jurgen Melzer (270°).

- How did you feel about the match?

- I wished it would’ve been a little different. I didn’t really start playing well and I was trying to find my rhythm. I was happy that at the end of the second set I stepped up a little bit and finally, I was fighting to win it.

- Taking into account this is the first time you play this Challenger, what expectations do you have?

- I’m accustomed to play Challengers and this one I think it’s a tough tournament with really good players. Of course the goal is to win five matches here and get the title.

- Do you see any of the other players as a possible threat? Who?

- Everybody here plays well. There are a lot of guys whom I’ve lost in the past in matches with really close definitions. For me the important thing is looking match by match and not hesitate with the results.

PH: El Síndrome de la Hoja en Blanco


- What can you say about the performance of Austria at Davis Cup?

- In the last tie, Romania came without their two best players and we played with Dominic Thiem, who’s a Top 10 player, so we were highly favourites. I played a very good match in the opening Friday and it was a solid week for us.

- What kind of difference does the return of Dominic make for the team?

- To be honest, I think we would’ve won even without him, but we would’ve needed him the tie before when we lost. It gives a lot of confidence to have a Top 10 player in your team and of course it’s always nice to have him, but also would be nicer if he would play a little more often.

- Do you think that what ITF proposes about the format of two day with matches of three sets or teams with five players each, will be positive or negative for the competition?

- We don’t know exactly, but it has the positive sides and the negative sides. On the one hand, the countries will lose one day of the event when they can’t sell tickets. On the other hand, if it’s three days and it’s a 3-0, then it isn’t interesting at all to play on the Sundays. So on those two days it’s going to be interesting. For me the Davis Cup it’s something very special and the format of five matches it’s what makes it special, so I’m a little bit sad that they took it away. The problem is that they didn’t change the dates so I don’t think that’s going to get the big players to play more Davis Cups.

- You always says that your nine-year older brother is an inspiration for you, how’s your relationship with him?

- It’s a great relationship. He helps me so much throughout my career, with money and even coaching me. I think that without him I wouldn’t be where I am today so I’m really grateful for everything.


- In April 2011 your brother reached two Top 10 (in singles and doubles) with 29 years old, would you like to follow his tracks?


- Well of course it would be nice to get to semifinals in Roland Garros, but to be realistic I don’t think that’s gonna happen. Nevertheless, I’m gonna work and gonna do my best. Let’s see what the future brings.

No hay comentarios :

Publicar un comentario